Current location for King Malu

Tuesday 20 August 2013

Koufonisi to Astypalaia


Talk about an early start! 6:30 Tim and Olivier were weighing anchor and on our way.

The wind looked right for setting the main sail today since it was broad reach. Setting the main with a canoe boom is not easy, someone, namely Olivier, has to go up into the canoe, undo the bag and connect the uphaul. Olivier has amazing balance. I would have done it with a safety line. He looked like he had been doing it all his life. Which he probably had!

Then time to haul it up. It's a heavy sail on a Lagoon 56, but fortunately there are electric self tailing winches. I think I could get used to these!
Except for the canoe main sail, the Lagoon 56 is actually quite an easy boat to sail. With in-boom furling then it would be very manageable by Tim and me. Of course... the cost would be prohibitive!
It seems like only an hour or so later there is a wind shift and so the main has to come down and Olivier is up in the canoe boom again tidying the sail!
The call is 'Dolphins' and they are out playing along our bow. Seems to me they were almost stroking themselves on the hull and dancing with delight.
Navigation onboard is with a dual Raymarine E-Series. They were good, but did lock up a couple of times and need resetting. This surprised me. I am having occasional lockup problems with the screen for the electric drive system we are developing, with the CanBus/NMEA2000 interface, but I would have expected Raymarine to be bolt proof and have no problems.
We passed islands that looked uninhabited and islands that looked like there was only one house on it. I cannot imagine living on an island alone. I suppose a hermit might enjoy it, but I think I need people too much for that!
Arrived in a beautiful bay and great wind for kite surfing.


Olivier's passion is kite-surfing. He was out across the bay... chasing him in the RIB was quite something... trying to get film of him was something else!


No comments:

Post a Comment