Current location for King Malu

Wednesday 9 December 2009

Painting

Last weekend Tim and I felt we had turned a corner with King Malu, no longer taking apart, but putting back together. That doesn't mean there isn't more to take apart or that there isn't a lot to do, but that we had changed mode so to speak.


Today I spent painting. Yesterday I did the undercoat on the grey band and the stern and today I put the first topcoat on.

This was my first time with multi-part epoxy and multi-part polyurethane paints. I must say the epoxy undercoat did feel a little like painting with glue at times.

It was quite tricky to ensure that the polyurethane top coat covered evenly and didn't run. I think I did manage it though as there are no runs on the band. When Tim arrived and saw it he thought again about painting the entire hull. Not this year!

It says you can re-coat without sanding, but to get a better result then sand with very fine sandpaper. I think we might try that - sanding with 1000 grit sandpaper.

We also spent a little time cleaning up the deck ready for undercoating that. We didn't get that finished... but did quite a lot. When I say 'we' I mean Jacob and me. Jacob came down for the whole day and was a tremendous help.


Later in the afternoon he went to see one of our near neighbours arriving. They have been lifting out boats continually every day for the last few days. Aren't you glad boat lifts only stay within the marina. Imagine meeting this traveling at 4 mph on a busy street.

The sound of power washing after lift out echoes across the marina. When it stops the silence is refreshing... till us or someone else starts grinding away with a power orbital sander or similar!

I'm really looking forward to seeing King Malu in the boat lift on her way back to the water. Hopefully before Christmas.


Every spot on the hard looks like it will be taken with a boat. Many are being repaired or maintained for the new season, but a fair number have 'For Sale' signs up.

The sailing boat next to us is up for sale and we see people coming to view on a few occasions. The reason for sale is that the cabin is too low for the current owner who has to stoop to get around the cabin. It's a fair sized yacht - similar to King Malu - but obviously with a lower deck. Fortunately King Malu has a high deck which means Tim, who is taller than me, can stand and walk everywhere without bending... even though he has to remember to duck through the cabin doorways or he would crack his head.

No comments:

Post a Comment