Current location for King Malu

Monday 14 December 2009

Fixing the ding!

Very early this morning... well... very early for me that is... I went down to King Malu and painted a second grey coat on the band around the stern. Then back to the office for staff meeting.

This afternoon I came back to the boat to fix the ding on the starboard side. First of all I ground out as far back as the cracks in the gel coat went so that there could be no water penetration through the cracks. Then chamfered the edges to that the new gel coat would take. Ahh... just asked Sue how to spell chamfered and she had never heard the word. It means to grind down the edge, like a bevel so that its not a hard edge. 

Then I mixed up Epidermix 372 epoxy and layered Epidermix and glass-fibre matting into the hole. I then used the remaining Epidermix to fill other little holes below the water line.

When I got back to the office Tim came round and was slightly concerned that the Epidermix might run since I had layered it into quite a deep hole. We went down to the boat again and found that it looked fine not drooping at all. Epidermix is, I think, a South African epoxy and takes 7 days to cure fully. But hopefully will be solid enough not to droop over night.

No comments:

Post a Comment