Current location for King Malu

Saturday 21 November 2009

Wiring almost complete...

I arrived at the boat about 9am, having hoped to be there a little before. Tim had removed more of the antifouling and it was looking great. He wanted some more sanding disks so we all went out - me, Tim and Jacob, as I wanted some extra wire.

At the shop that sells sanding disks we asked about diesel generators, as we are not sure of the health of the one on the boat. But, they only sell petrol ones. No way do we want petrol on board!

On the way back we popped into see Costas at Raymarine and Captain Alan at Seacrest Marine. We may need a new capstan so talked to Alan about that.

Back to the boat and tried to get the second battery bank working. No chance. Got out the meter and checked - no connection from the battery to the switch. So where on earth was the wire routed? Up came the floorboards... found another 120amp cable... tested that... no connection... then another 120amp cable... tested that... no connection... eventually I had 7 extra 120 amp cables in my hand none of which connected to the battery or the battery switch. So I called Stefan.

With some words from Stef and my own further delving I did find out how it was connected. Lunch time. I was discouraged. It was going much slower than I expected.

Back to work after lunch and then things went much faster than expected. By the time it was dark we had connected the three ring main/freezer circuits to an extension box ready for the consumer unit in the morning. The battery charger was now working and automatically switching on when the shore power is connected and not when the inverter is. And... the inverter was working and providing power. The battery charger remote control was showing what was happening to the batteries [including the battery and chassis temperatures] and the remote for the inverter also working.

So... hopefully tomorrow morning I will connect the ring mains/freezer circuits, connect the three 12volt circuits still pending, connect the battery monitor system and put the panels back on the wall!

No comments:

Post a Comment