Current location for King Malu

Monday 9 November 2009

New electrics

I spent the weekend working on the electrics. That has been my main role. Tim and Mark and others have worked on removing the old Treadmaster and started cleaning off the anti-fouling.

Anyway... the electrics... if I tell you the original shore power connection had a 13amp plug to 13amp plug cable to plug King Malu into the electricity you will understand why I have been starting from scratch almost. I first of all fitted a new 16amp blue male connector in the sail locker so that the mains intake is safe. I then fitted a new consumer unit with an RCD in the cabin and removed all the old MCBs.

That was mainly last Wednesday... today... I started on the 12volt and integration system: We bought almost everything from Sterling Power who seem to produce some of the best small ship power control electronics we can find in the world.

We'll see how well they work in practice.

I fitted a 2700 watt inverter, a digital charger, 12volt monitoring system and an automatic 220volt changeover system [shore power, generator or inverter].

Sunday I spent most of my time cutting holes and fitting the new controllers into the panel and trying to make it all look neat and tidy.

The photo shows the panel before I started, with all the old analogue meters. A week or so and I will post what it looks like now.

Still not finished and I hope by the end of next weekend I will have done so and can move on to something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment