Current location for King Malu

Sunday 29 November 2009

When is a 13A socket not a 13A socket?

I'm sitting here at the end of the day wondering where it all went... I know that I worked all day, but what did I achieve?

We had seen there were a flew blemishes in the below water line epoxy surface. So I spent some time grinding them out down a couple of millimetres ready for re-filling with new epoxy. There are not many and they are very small. They are not like the bubbles you get from osmosis, more like little chips in the surface that just need to be repaired. I have a small rounded grind stone on my battery operated drill and use that.

I went to put the battery on charge [its getting old and doesn't hold much charge these days] only to find that I had left the 220 volt system in the middle of a task. I wanted to connect up the two 13A sockets above the navigation table [only one was connected] and when I opened it up to connect the second one I had found that one was corroded and the wires could not be undone. So I bought two new sockets to replace them both and make them match.

When I removed the sockets to replace them I found that the previous owner had used non-standard 13A sockets and the new ones wouldn't fit. Ahhh... suddenly things elsewhere made sense. There were two sockets [one in the saloon, one in the for'ard cabin] that were not fixed firmly into the wall. The reason was they were the non-standard sockets and the backing plates were standard. So... I removed the non-standard sockets and fitted my new standard size ones, took the two non-standard sockets and used those in the non-standard backing plate above the nav table! A five minute task had become a one hour task. We find this a lot on the boat.

I spend some time sanding by hand the top and back of the rudder - places that the orbital sander cannot reach. I used some of the old sanding disks which I folded over on the blade of a paint scraper and painstakingly removed all the anti-fouling [and a few barnacles] from the gaps.

Final job was to trim the Sikaflex around the speed log hole. It looked very neat.

This weekend felt like we had moved forward a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment