Current location for King Malu

Sunday 2 May 2010

Remove generator and other parts

Tim and I came back this morning and worked hard on removing the old Yanmar generator. This too had seen better days. We split it into three parts: flywheel, engine and generator. All were really heavy, but not as heavy as the main engine and gearbox.

With effort we managed to remove them from the engine room, and... remove them from the boat. They are now sitting in the drive of my house. Not content with that we then removed the gearbox from the boat. Ken had suggested putting the main engine on a plank and manhandling that off, but there was no way were were going to attempt that!

Final task of the day: Clean out the the engine room. I scrubbed and cleaned using washing detergent.

It was a really filthy job, but amazing to see the result - the engine room floor was white!

There is still a lot of wiring to remove before we start re-building with the new electric drive, but it was absolutely amazing to see the engine room so bright and shiny.

On the starboard side the plate where the old Yanmar can be seen. We are most likely to replace it with a new quiet and automatic Paguro. I say 'automatic' because the old Yanmar needed you to manually control the speed of the motor to control the voltage.

With the hose on the boat we finally decided to hose down the deck and scrub the teak in case any oil had got onto the wood.

Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink; 
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink. 

I have no idea where Samuel Coleridge got that idea from. Teak expands when you wet it. And it cleaned up nicely, but with water everywhere I got thoroughly wet.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent Blog! I would like to thank for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. I wanted to thank you for this websites! Thanks for sharing. Great websites! best generator for travel trailer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent Blog! I would like to thank for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. I wanted to thank you for this websites! Thanks for sharing. Great websites! best generator for travel trailer

    ReplyDelete