Current location for King Malu

Friday 23 October 2009

Amazing boat

OK, this is amazing day! Tim and I am now part owners each of 39 ft Nicholson... and I am thrilled. Being part owner of a yacht will definitely change my life.

Nicholsons are some of the best designed and build boats in the world. Sir Francis Chichester's Gypsy Moth was a Nicholson, as were some of the royal yachts [Prince Philip owned a Nicholson].

From the build plate you can see she is number 0003 of the 39s - there were only 60 ever built. She was originally Nicholson's show boat in Italy, was bought by a retired RN commander, then by an American who sailed her round the world, stopping in Cyprus and now selling her to us.

The aim is to get her sea worthy by December and then do on water maintenance ready to sail in the spring... and then sometime next year have a cruise to the Greek Islands. All the running rigging needs replacing, but none of the standing rigging... electronics are almost non-existant, so we will need new radio etc. We're thinking of using a NetBook based navigation system using OziExplorer software... plus paper charts [the boat comes with loads of charts]. The dinghy needs some TLC and the life-raft needs a service. Tomorrow we start...

Malu BTW is interesting word... in Hawaiian it means peace or peacefullness, in Malay/Arabic it means shy or hidden. So she is either the King of Peace or the Hidden King... interesting name?


6 comments:

  1. Hi
    I couldn't help getting excited when I saw 'King Malu' come up on the screen. Very nostalgic. I sailed on board her with Stefan Mulkey and for a short while with Alex Dent. We sailed 1000's and 1000's of miles together, in the Indian , the Atlantic, and the Pacific oceans. I have many happy memories on board "King Malu"

    You are very lucky to own such a beautiful yacht. As you are aware, she is very well built, and if youy take care of her she will take care of you, as she did me across all those oceans.

    I'd love to know where you bought her, and if you bought her from an American called Stefan Mulkey. I'd like to know what he's up to these days.

    Hope to hear from you, Suzy

    Email,waldock1@btinternet.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would too. We (Stefan Mulkey and me)spent many years in Oxford togther before his "sailing days". I can be reached at sharn-orchard@uk2.net.

    Now living in Thailand - that will surprise him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also worked for Stef at Comersgate in Oxford. I wonder if he has heard that his friend & accountant, Bryce, from there died a couple of years ago. His wife remains in France.I am Mavis then Haken
    I can be reached on dougtantrum@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still think of Stef as also at Comersgate and spent many weekends on Malu - did visit him a couple of year's back in Cyprus.
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nick

      I am trying to contact Stefan Mulkey, that is if the King Malu yatch and Stefan Mulkey are the ones who were in Sarawak, Malaysia. Thats when I got to know him.

      I have been trying to track him down to see how he is but have not been successful.

      If you can either forward him my email address or send me his email address I will be very grateful.

      Just let him know that we got to know each other when King Malu caught fire and he had to jump into the river!

      Thank you,

      Colin MacFarlaine
      colinmacfarlaine@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. Did visit Cyprus and drove into the mountains and did find Stef in a home he had built. He was shocked that I had found him and he asked I tell no one!
      Nick Fogden
      nick@oliversdesign.net

      Delete